Indian Certificate Of Secondary Education conducts the privately held examination in India.
ICSE examinations are much tougher than the CBSE examinations .In ICSE the syllabus is vast and in detailed form which is the advantage over the CBSE syllabus. The ICSE exams are acceptable for many countries abroad . In class 8th students are in a new phase of study .
SYLLABUS FOR CLASS 8TH MATHS EXAM ICSE
The Syllabus of ICSE Class 8 Mathematics contains many sections:
SECTION A : NUMBER SYSTEM
• RATIONAL NUMBERS :
• More on rational numbers with examples and discussion of properties.
• Number lodging Between any two rational numbers there lies another rational number (Problems related to inserting 1,2,3, ….. n rational numbers between two rational numbers).
• Word problems based on daily life situations using rational numbers.
• EXPONENTS AND POWERS :
• Laws of exponents with integral powers.
• Square and Square roots using the division method for numbers containing Not more than total 4 digits and Not more than 2 decimal places in Cubes and Cube roots.
• SETS :
• Union and intersection of sets
• The complement of a set.
SECTION B : RATIO AND PROPORTION :
• Compound Interest
• Problems on tax
• Direct and inverse variations
• Time and work problems
SECTION C : ALGEBRA :
• Algebraic Expressions
• Multiplication and division of algebraic Coefficient should be integers)
• Inequalities and solutions of simple inequalities in a single variable.
• Factorisation as examples the following types a (x + y), ax (c + d)
• linear equations in one variable in circumstantial problems involving multiplication and division (word problems) (avoid complex coefficient in the equations)
SECTION D : GEOMETRY:
• Understanding shapes :
o Properties of quadrilaterals – Angle Sum property Properties of a parallelogram (By verification)
o Opposite sides of a parallelogram are equal ,Opposite angles of a parallelogram are equal , Diagonals of a parallelogram bisect each other.
o Diagonals of a rectangle are identical and split.
o Diagonals of a rhombus split each other at right angles.
o Diagonals of a square are identical/equal and split at the right angles.
• Surface area of a cube, cuboids and cylinders.
• Topic of Total surface area of cubes and cuboids.
• Topic of volume, measurement of volume using a basic unit, the volume of a cube, cuboid and cylinder
• Volume and capacity.
SECTION E : DATA HANDLING:
Simple Pie charts with data numbers
PREPARATION STRATEGY FOR CLASS 8TH MATHS EXAM :
1. See the exam pattern and Syllabus:
Before starting the preparation go through the syllabus and patterns of the mathematics exam. The syllabus of the mathematics exam is very vast as shown above .
2. Time table :
Most of the students are lagging because they are not prepared for every topic , due to lack of time . So prepare a time table and strictly follow it till the exam. The time table should also include the daily practice schedule by which you can make the habit of practicing daily .
3. Practice from standard books :
Maths is a hard subject for many students. Students should refer to the standard books for preparation and they can also use the Selina Concise Mathematics Class 8 ICSE Solutions , the standard books and Selina concise become the pillars while doing the preparation.
4. Set the daily practice goal :
Set the goal of doing some amount of topics to be practiced daily while making the preparation boost the preparation. Achieve the daily goal and don’t carry-forward your goal for tomorrow, because by doing this you will never achieve the goal you set for today . So practice daily for the exam.
5. Time management :
Students suffer more in the exam due to lack of time . They stuck up only in one question and forgot about the other questions. So prescribe the time for every question and solve it in that period of time . Work on the time management while preparing for the exam , because the maths exam is time consuming for the students , so practice many more questions from each and every topic to overcome this problem.
6. Evaluation :
Evaluate your progress weekly. Evaluate by solving the sample papers and weekly tests . Evaluation helps in knowing the weak point of your study. By evaluating you can make the weak point into the level . Also evaluate your studying by how much you are practicing daily .
7. Clear doubts :
Many students skip the topics because they are not able to understand the particular topics . This makes your preparation weak . So Clear your doubts while preparing by your teacher or by your mentor.
8. solve sample papers:
Solving the sample paper helps in improvement in scoring good scores in the exam . Sample papers give the idea of trends in the exams .It helps in analysing which types of questions are important for the exams . solving sample papers and previous year question papers builds the confidence in the students for solving the problems related to mathematics . solve at least the last 10 years of question paper for practicing , because mathematics is the only subject where you cannot learn , it needs continuous practice . Sample papers also give the idea about what marking scheme is followed in a mathematics exam.
9. Revision :
This is the most important part of preparing for a mathematics exam. Preparation is incomplete without revision . revision makes the topics to recall easily in exams . revision makes the concepts crystal clear . While doing revision , focus more on the chapters which are having the high weightage in the exam. Revision gives the result of preparation that determines how successful the preparation is. It shows which topics you are weak in . So do the revision from time to time while preparing .
10. Be motivated and healthy :
While doing the preparation , some students feel depressed , and stressed. This makes the preparation weak, so while preparing , give some time for the physical exercises so that your mind gets relaxed. Take a healthy diet to get the energy for preparation.